Gallery - General photos

Please click on an image to see a larger photo


1959 - MFV Misty Isle and (maybe Acorn) at Kyleakin Pier,
MacBraynes - Loch Seaforth approaching Kyle from Mallaig en route to Stornoway
1960 - MacBraynes - Loch Nevis at Kyle Railway Pier - mailboat to Portree and Raasay from Mallaig via Kyle. Note also Tommy Pollock's lorry & GPO van
Circa 1933-34  - Bus outside Kyleakin Ferry Office
1934 - Aird ferry on Dornie side
Circa 1910 - Kyleakin Hotel and Kings Arms Hotel
Circa 1935 - Steam trawler passing Kyleakin Lighthouse
Circa 2010 - The wreck of the Port Napier in Loch Na Beiste with Kyle in the distance
Crockery retrieved from the wreck of the Port Napier
Circa 1910s - View of Kyleakin crofts from Kyle Farm.
Note there are no Council houses
Circa 1935 - Kyleakin from Kyle Farm area at high tide with crofts in usage.
Note numbers 1 and 2 Kyleside and no Village Hall
Circa 1939 - Kyleakin from Kyle Farm.
Note the water pipe from the reservoir crossing the Obbe and also the Village Hall and additional 6 houses on Kyleside
Circa 1937 - View of Kyleakin from Castle Moil showing the first 8 Council houses in Kyleside
Circa 1950 - View over the Obbe from the Pier after the coming of electricity
(note the electricity poles at the rear of the houses)
Circa 1950 - MFV Castle Moil - BRD360
with Maggie MacAskill on the pavement by the barking shed
Circa 1930 - MFV Acacia - BRD133 belonging to the Reid family with an early turntable ferry at the Pier and the coal shed attached to Cameron's Shop
1939 - MFV Acacia with Alec Reid on the Pier
1966 - Convoy of MacBraynes buses travelling through Breakish with Beinn na Caillich ringed in mist
Circa 1950 - MV Coruisk passenger ferry owned by British Rail at Kyleakin Pier
Circa 1930 - Nicolson's Portree Motor Coach Company bus waiting at Kyleakin Corran
Circa 1933 - Dunvegan bus waiting at Kings Arms Hotel, Kyleakin.
Portree bus collecting passengers from the ferry at Kyleakin.
Note the newspapers being delivered and the man in the ferry uniform and wellingtons is Alistair Finlayson
Circa 1910 - Kyleakin from Lump.
Note the wooden pier built to service the mail boat from Kyle and Portree,
also, cows on Corran, and the church looks as if it has 2 doors
Circa 1930 - View of Pier from Cnoc na Errich.
Note the MacInnes's cottage (Hector Grant's Granny) where Coille Bhurich's garden is now
Circa 1910 - Kyleakin Lighthouse from Kyle.
Another photograph has been superimposed on top giving this picture a surreal appearance
12th September 1933 - Duke and Duchess of York later to become King George VI  and Queen Elizabeth landing at Kyleakin.
King George can be seen talking to the Customs Officer and possibly Major A D MacKinnon, Dunringell.
Dr Hector MacLean the parish minister and Lord Alistair MacDonald talking to the Queen.
Also in attendance were Lady Helen Graham and Lady Hermoine Cameron, if any one knows who the other people are, please let us know.  Note the Kyle/Kyleakin ferry launch - the
View of the Pier from behind Sighthill
Early 1950's - Kyleakin from the War Memorial.
Note the path to the reservoir from Kyle Farm, Seaview Cottage (first left) was replaced by the Marine Hotel dining room during the late 1950's.  Heathmount Hotel (now Saucy Mary's) - also the bungalow between the Hotel and the Church  was the Triton Hotel and is now the extension to Saucy Mary's.  The Marine Hotel became the SYHA in 1984 and in 2011 was converted into 12 flats by Lochalsh and Skye Housing Association
Circa 1900 - Donkey and trap on the Pier
Early 1970's - The Kyleakin and Lochalsh ferries arrived in 1971, they were the first roll-on-roll-off ferries on this service.  Bill Paterson, the local barber is standing on ramp.
Circa 1950s - The Corran from the Lump.
Note the petrol station in front of the Post Office and the remains of the wooden pier on far right
Circa 1955 - A four car turntable ferry, ferryman Dave Robertson with children fishing - Ann Nicolson, Susan ?, Roderick MacLean and Richard ? (with fishing rod)
Susan and Richard were regular visitors to Mr and Mrs Smith, 16 Kyleside
Circa 1890s - Visitors to Kyleakin Lighthouse
The Port Napier
(the predecessor of the wrecked ship in Loch Na Beiste)
Circa 1955 - The Pier with the White Heather Cafe, coal shed, Cameron's Stores,
Ferry Waiting Room and public toilets
Circa 1920s - View of the Obbe showing the Glumaig
Circa 1920s - The Corran with visitors
Circa 1900 - Kyleakin from side of Craigard
Circa 1900 - The wooden pier and Kyleakin beach, and probably the ship "Glencoe" approaching the pier
Circa 1910 - Kyleakin from the Lump. Note the wooden pier built to service the mail boat from Kyle and Portree.
Early 1930’s – The Cara Holed when she hit either a rock or the Black Island, her load of timber was discharged in Loch Na Beiste, to allow repairs to be carried out.
Early 1930’s – The Cara Holed when she hit either a rock or the Black Island, her load of timber was discharged in Loch Na Beiste, to allow repairs to be carried out.
Early 1930’s – The Cara Holed when she hit either a rock or the Black Island, her load of timber was discharged in Loch Na Beiste, to allow repairs to be carried out.
Early 1930’s – The Cara Holed when she hit either a rock or the Black Island, her load of timber was discharged in Loch Na Beiste, to allow repairs to be carried out.
24th April 1982 - The Ceremony to Commemorate the Officers and Men of HMS Trelawney and 1st Minelaying Squadron at the Lochalsh Hotel, Kyle.
Postcard view of Castle Moil with the village and Eilean Bàn in the background.
Circa 1930. View of cattle with Castle Moil in the background.
Circa 1930. The Free Church and Marine Hotel.
Circa 1930. The main road showing the wooden pier and the Kings Arms Hotel.
Circa 1930. View looking down the Obbe.
Circa 1930. The Kings Arms Hotel.
Circa 1930. The Kings Arms Hotel (note cow grazing in front).
Circa 1938.
View from mainland with first council houses and new village hall (wooden pier still there). Village Hall (2nd right from the Kings Arms)
Circa late 1930’s. View from Lump with chimneys of Winkle Hall in the foreground.
Circa late 1930's. View of village from Cnoc na Errich at high tide with "lots" in the background.
Circa late 1930's. The old wooden pier and the first council house (1 & 2 Kyleside) next to the Kings Arms Hotel.a 1930. The Kings Arms Hotel (note cow grazing in front).
Circa late 1920's. Kyleakin Hotel and Kings Arms Hotel with the stables behind.
Circa 1930’s - Kyleakin  Pier from Cnoc na Errich.
A celebration on the Corran, May 1937  - King George VI coronation.
Down the Pier, showing the Coal Shed attached to the Tea Room and Shop. MacLean the Butcher’s shop is behind the coal shed.
Circa late 1930’s view of Castle Moil.
Circa 1939. Note there are 8 council houses to the west of the Kings Arms and the wooden pier is semi demolished.
1938 – A man on hoist off the dredger “Sand Chime”.
1938 – Dredger “Sand Chime” The skipper was a Mr Calendar who lived in Aberdeen (Backhilton Road) and had a daughter called Irene.
Circa 1930. Kyleakin from Castle Moil.
Around ferry office area following a fire in the 1930’s.
Circa 1950. Railings around the war memorial, the little girl is Ruth Soper.
Circa early 1960’s – note green Co-op van (mobile shop) on the Obbe Road.
The Porst below Hillside about early 1960’s.
The Osprey on the shore at the pier head – early 1960’s.
Circa 1960’s. Loch Carron Handloom Weavers with ruin of Urquhart’s House behind Fuchsia Cottage and Coille Bhurich.
Marine Hotel newly refurbished late 1950’s. Note the Bell tower is still on the Free Church.
Modern view from the Skye Bridge – taken around 2000.
Aerial view taken around 2000.
Lighthouse Island from the mainland, around 1910.
View of the Loch Seaforth passing the lighthouse en route from Stornoway to Kyle possibly early 1960’s.
Circa 1956. Royal visit.